Thursday, September 23, 2010

Arcadia Flooding

I know we have had flooding in Wisconsin before but I have not seen it this bad in this area (in my lifetime I guess!).  The entire city of Arcadia is flooded with the city center with water levels at 2 to 3 feet.  Governor Jim Doyle has now declared a State of Emergency in Trempeleau county and people have had to be rescued by boats and other safe modes of rescue.  I read I think Rob's blog about media coverage and a state of emergency like this one I guarantee will be news worthy for at least one weak and it will be the same sort of process as we had talked about in class.  They had warned western Wisconcin about the flooding and now the media is covering the "emergency stage" and when the city has cleaned up the media will cover the "recovery" stage. 

What is so interesting is that weather has closed down this entire city, the flooding has closed everything from schools, to churches and even Ashley Furniture closed until safety could be returned to the city.  This is a perfect example of how weather can affect the livelihood of a city and its people.  The rain has also caused flooding all along the Chippewa River including places in Eau Claire County.  I heard today that all of the rain maybe caused a mudslide on the 53 bypass however this is speculation right now. 

Weau has up do date coverage of this at their website.

http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/103606404.html

No comments:

Post a Comment